Salmon Coconut Curry with Spinach and Chickpeas is an easy one-pot meal that cooks in under 30 minutes!
Salmon Coconut Curry with Chickpeas
Seared salmon skin adds an extra dimension to this one-pan dinner: rich flavor and crispy texture. The salmon then braises in a velvety coconut-curry sauce, which is the perfect pairing for the fish, spinach, and chickpeas. For more seafood curry recipes, try my Thai Green Curry Coconut Shrimp with Basil and Broiled Tilapia with Thai Coconut Curry Sauce.
Salmon is my favorite fish! I have TONS of other wonderful Salmon Recipes in the archives. This salmon coconut curry recipe is very nutritious and so delicious! It uses light coconut milk, which instantly cuts calories. Plus, salmon is full of protein and heart-healthy omega 3s. Chickpeas are a good source of fiber, and spinach is full of vitamins and minerals.
How do you make coconut curry from scratch?
This curry is Indian inspired, made with madras curry powder. It cooks quickly and all in one pan, making it an excellent choice for an easy dinner on a busy night.
- Season the salmon with salt and pepper and put in the skillet skin-side down. Cook for five minutes until the skin is crispy and then remove from the pan.
- Sautee onions, garlic, chili, and ginger for two minutes. Add in the chickpeas and curry powder and cook for two minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk, spinach, and salt. Cover the pan and cook another two minutes.
- Return the salmon to the skillet skin-side up and cook for about five minutes until the fish is done.
Salmon Coconut Curry Variations & Tips:
- Swap spinach for kale, swiss chard, or mustard greens.
- Make it Whole30 by swapping chickpeas for potatoes.
- To ensure the salmon’s easy release from the pan, make sure to let the skin fully caramelize before attempting to move the filet.
- Sub shrimp for salmon and cook for less time
- Use a white fish like cod if you’re not a fan of salmon.
- If you don’t like spicy foods, omit the Fresno chili.
More Curry Recipes You’ll Love:
Salmon Coconut Curry with Spinach and Chickpeas
Seared salmon with spinach and chickpeas in a creamy coconut curry sauce is an easy one-pot meal that cooks in under 20 minutes!
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 6-ounce skin-on salmon filets
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, diced (about 1 small)
- 3 peeled garlic cloves, grated
- 1 2-inch piece peeled ginger, grated
- 1 large Fresno chili, finely diced
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Madras curry powder
- 1 14-ounce can light coconut milk
- 5 ounces baby spinach
Season both sides of salmon with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Set aside on a plate.
Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Spray with oil to fully coat the bottom of the pan.
Add salmon to the pan, skin-side down, and cook without disturbing until skin is crispy, 5 to 6 minutes.
Return to the plate (skin-side up) and set aside.
Add remaining teaspoon of oil, then add onions, garlic, ginger, and Fresno chili pepper; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
Add chickpeas and curry powder and continue to cook, stirring, for 2 minutes more.
Reduce heat to medium-low, add coconut milk, stirring, to release any browned bits stuck to the pan.
Stir in spinach and 1/2 teaspoon salt . Cover the pan and cook 2 minutes until spinach wilts.
Add the salmon, skin-side-up, and cook until fish is done, about 5 to 6 minutes.
Serving: 1filet, 1/2 cup veggies, Calories: 453kcal, Carbohydrates: 23.5g, Protein: 41g, Fat: 20g, Saturated Fat: 7.5g, Cholesterol: 94mg, Sodium: 275mg, Fiber: 5g, Sugar: 1.5g
Blue Smart Points: 4
Green Smart Points: 12
Purple Smart Points: 4
Keywords: one pot salmon recipe, salmon coconut curry, salmon coconut milk curry